Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Preparing for a Major Disappointment

Today I applied for a job I really, really, really want, (it's in the HR department) at a company I really, really, really want to work for (mostly because I have no other options, although there are advancement opportunities).  I've been through a few tedious interview processes for other positions I've applied for with this company and managed to convince myself it was a sure thing only to be crushed when I lost the opportunities to the Dullest Bulb in the Tanning Bed and to a baby boomer who's going to retire in two years.  Of course, I don't even know if I'll get an interview but I suspect I will because I peppered my resume and cover letter with words from the job description in order to manipulate their word-matching software.  Alas, information systems trickery can only go so far.  And what happens when I don't receive an offer after several more rounds of gut wrenching and nervous system twisting interviews?  Aside from the quantifiable losses (see Revelations for Today), can my very fragile psyche endure yet another rejection of this magnitude?  I'm afraid it would shatter me like fine china on porcelain tile.  This disappointment would come at an especially bad time considering I recently contacted a previous co-worker turned manager regarding an open position for the exact job I once performed and was told that upper management would tell me to take my kite and fly it.  I think asking for your old job (the one you hated so badly that you kept an empty laundry basket under your desk in case you felt compelled to clear it of your belongings before you stomped out the door in a fit of rage) only to be told to piss off is the step that happens right before you're the next burger flipper of the month at McDonald's because you were also rejected for the job I applied for today in favor of some other moron.  Anyway, I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with one more missed opportunity if I don't get this job.  And this is why I never let my hopes run away with me anymore; the subsequent crash hurts a lot less.   

No comments:

Post a Comment