Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Different Kind of Statistic

Today my activities consisted of applying for a position for which I'm majorly overqualified at a company for which I used to work, applying for a job that's 45 miles away that I'll never get hired for, and attending a meeting with a temporary staffing agency for the position I mentioned in my "Applying in Circles" entry.  It turns out the position is truly temporary, not indefinitely temporary (that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one).  The duration is 6-8 weeks because the dullest bulb in the tanning bed is knocked up.  What the fuck?  By my estimation, she raced home to bang her husband the second her health insurance coverage became effective.  She's already cost the company a great deal more money that I would have.  Unfortunately, I really don't see the benefit in pursuing this further.  As luck would have it, the afternoon wasn't a total waste.  I found out my typing skills are above average.  Woohoo.
This brings up another topic I was going to save for a rainy day to address.  A lot of people in my generation are putting off starting a family, due to economic concerns, until they get all of their ducks in a row.  At the rate I'm going, I'll be fucking infertile by the time that happens (if it even happens at all).  I don't know if I really want kids or not but, I'm in my late twenties (okay...a stone's throw away from 30...OH.MY.GOD) and I can literally feel my eggs drying up one by one.  What's a girl to do?  Refuse to entertain the possibility of children until things stabilize (I think children at least deserve a finished house, for God's sake)?  Or, throw caution to the wind and join the ranks of (mostly uneducated) mothers who expect the welfare system to step up and provide the support their children need.  Hey, I'm a tax paying citizen (when I'm lucky enough to have a job), too, and I'm just considering all the options.  And that's what it's come down to for me.  If I'd gotten knocked up in high school (a whole different kind of statistic!) and if I just smoked weed all day long instead of looking for jobs I'd be no worse off than I am now.  I'll leave you to ponder that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment