Thursday, March 21, 2013

The World I Know

I seem to be an unwilling participant of some sort of cruel phenomenon in which I'm forced to live in poverty and then denied assistance from the very resources that can't give it away fast enough to those who do nothing but abuse it.  Yes, I have applied for public assistance and was denied for the following reasons:
1.  I am childless and, therefore, shit out of luck.  Apparently the more children you have, the less you have to worry about how you're going to support them because the government will take care of it for you.  They will make sure you have financial assistance, food assistance, child care assistance, and a roof over your head.
2.  I had a part-time job, which disqualified me from receiving income assistance, despite the fact that I've spent exactly one year of my life earning anything more than poverty wages.  Who knew that making zero effort while looking for a full-time job would be the more lucrative option?
So that didn't work out for me.
I applied for a home rehab loan (and trust me, if anyone needs this service it's me) from a community non-profit (yes, I was overlooked in favor of a baby boomer who will retire in two years for a job I really really wanted there, and I know this because the organization which provided me with the above-mentioned, assistance-blocking part-time employment hosted a networking function for them) that claims to help people while changing lives through their anti-poverty initiatives.  To be fair, my home was built in 1970 and their cutoff is 1976, but I wasn't even given the courtesy of a fuck you letter.  Nothing.  Zero Communication.  The final straw, and what compelled me to focus on this topic for this particular post, is that they've posted an opening for a Self Sufficiency Case Manager.  Applicants must have sensitivity toward economic and cultural issues facing people in poverty.  They will provide assistance to those in financial crisis or who are unable to meet their basic needs.  They will work together to form goals and develop plans to meet long-term stability and they will direct clients to services within the community.  I'd be curious to know what help they could offer me.  Oh yeah, I forgot.  Not a fucking bit of it.  And most certainly not a job.  I feel the very same way about the "re-employment session" I was forced to attend at my local government center.  I did not receive one useful piece of information or assistance.
So, therein lies the burning question.  What assistance is out there for those of us who are educated, childless, motivated, competent, and incredibly unlucky?  None, I've concluded.  If you want long-term stability you'd better get on the GED/baby-making wagon, and fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment